Friday, March 4, 2011

NOT CRUEL AND UNCARING

A quick one today.  Several months ago I walked into Sharon and Monica’s office.  Sharon’s face was red and slightly swollen.  Her eyes watery.  Monica was very quiet.  It was quiet.  “Hey ladies.”  
“hey”   I think I got a response.
  “What’s the matter?”  I’m known for beating around the bush.
“Well, we have to call T _ _ _ _.    XYZ is going to have to postpone his start date.  They might not be able to even hire anyone…...”  This sentence took a while because both were crying.  It was a small fee and they weren’t concerned about that.  They knew that T wanted this job badly….and the company wanted him.  However XYZ’s client wasn’t ready to move forward (through no fault of their own).  Monica and Sharon really like him and they wanted him to get this job.  He needed this job.  They felt so badly for him and they didn’t want him to have to deal with this bad news. 
Both Sharon and Monica have over ten years experience in search and staffing.  This job can make you a little calloused, cold and uncaring.  It made me stop and think about how we can help people, even if it’s just being a sounding board.  It also made me reflect on how I need to stop more often and think about the lives of the people we are dealing with.  Losing a job, and then searching for a new one…..life changing, daunting, difficult, depressing, worrisome, fearsome, lonely.   I left their office knowing I am lucky to be on the same team.

No comments:

Post a Comment