Monday, February 28, 2011

PREPARE [Part 2]

Years ago we were working on a Manager of F,P & A role for a company relocating to Texas.  I had 3 good candidates but I was guessing that one was going to drop out.  I had another guy who had a unique background.  He was close…but not perfect.  And man….his energy level was WAY off the chart.  He wanted the job so badly and he was so energized….too energized!  However, he came prepared with a full MBA quality (written) analysis of the company and the subsidiary that was hiring ……. and a really good analysis of how his skills fit what they needed.
Yet – I didn’t want to submit him.  Finally, I said  “Jim, you are at 11 on the high energy scale.  You need to go in at a 7.  Tone it down.  Relax.  Let the interviewer lead the discussion.  You’ll get a chance to tie your background to their needs (quickly and briefly).”  He said he trusted me and he wanted the job.  He listened…..and he won.  He  held that job for years (and was subsequently promoted).  He followed the Controller to another company after that. 

He was prepard and he listened.  And I got a check.  I made a friend.  Jim and I have stayed in touch since 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment